Mission & Philosophy
Our mission is to provide a joyful, play-based learning environment that helps children develop their unique selves and their capacity to connect with others. We are a school community where teachers, parents, and children respect each other, nurture each other, and learn from each other in an atmosphere of true cooperation.
Our vision is that children who attend our school emerge from a deeply enriching experience eager to learn, embracing of others, and empowered to share their gifts with the world.
- Children are expected to be messy sometimes
- learning is meaningful and fun so children develop the disposition and desire to continue learning
- the classrooms reflect our belief that young children learn best through play and exploration
- children explore science and math through nature, experience art and engineering through projects, and investigate the world and their role in it using imagination and creativity
- we support a small, family-like atmosphere that is positive and nurturing
- each child's creations are expected to be different from those of others; adult-made models, patterns, and pre-drawn forms are used infrequently
- we can choose our own activities, our own materials
- children and parents don't need to worry about being right or wrong
- we celebrate nature, and incorporate natural materials into daily learning
- children are not expected to sit for long periods of time
- parents aren't judged by their child's behavior
- there is no "right way" to be a parent or helping parent - be yourself!
- boys can play with dolls; girls can use hammers
- we encourage parent involvement, and a communal feeling of acceptance and respect among parents, teachers, and children
- we hire and support a teaching staff of the highest caliber, who can provide an individualized preschool program for each child and family, and who bring to it warmth, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- we cherish our beautiful location on the Connecticut River, next to the Dartmouth Organic Farm, where we can learn about growing a garden from seed to harvest
- we celebrate the diverse family backgrounds of each child
- respect for all differences between people is cultivated and guides our curriculum and classroom environments